Beamdog released their HD Pack; https://files.beamdog.com/
What is the HD Pack and what does it include?
The Beamdog HD Pack is a large amount of upgraded HD models for most Neverwinter Nights base player/NPC appearances, and several weapons. The pack includes upgraded high quality textures and models for Human/Half-Elf, Elf, Dwarf, Half-Orc, Gnome and Hafling models. With community fixes this also includes suitable Horse versions.
These are overrides - they replace the base game models - and do not typically include additional models.
Improvements the community has made:
- Fixes for many minor and major model issues
- Shadows added to skinmesh only parts
- Compiled models for slightly faster loading
- Removal of erroneous, unused and non-override models including most of the 2das
- Colouring of the eyes based off Tattoo 1 colour
The pack has got some known issues:
- Horse phenotypes are not generated yet thus are not fully working yet
- The PLT texture files used are high quality but also quite slow to load so some jittering may occur when a model initially comes into view (can vary based on your computer or amount of models loading in)
- There may be some additional model fixes needed - there's a lot of models to work through - you can report any issues you find
- Some models may be missing and not upgraded (eg; one belt, a few NPC only heads, pale master arms)
- There are only normal maps for most bodyparts, additional work is required to generate a complete set of PBR textures
Installation and Usage
The Beamdog HD pack as updated by the community will be in 2 flavours for players:
- BDHD_userpatch_x.x.zip - A userpatch.ini installation of hakpacks which are much simpler to disable and upgrade, and doesn't leave 15K loose files on your system.
- Place the .hak files into the Documents\Neverwinter Nights\patch directory (you may need to create this folder)
- Add the file userpatch.ini to your Documents\Neverwinter Nights folder - if you need to uninstall, just rename or delete this file
- BDHD_override_x.x.zip - A simple zip that can be extracted to /override to override models as per Beamdogs installation. Note you should clear the override folder before doing this if you want to upgrade, since some past files may have been removed.
For builders there are 3 zips:
- BDHD_builders_source_uncompiled_x.x.zip - The uncompiled source files in structured folders. Uncompiled models and any TGA/PNG textures sorted into folders in a zip for builders. Use this for your own edits.
- BDHD_builders_source_compiled_x.x.zip - The compiled source files in structured folders. Compiled models and final DDS textures sorted into folders in a zip for builders. Use this if you want a ready-made drop in set of files
- BDHD_builders_additional_x.x.zip - Additional builder files, such as resized icons for toolset usage or extra parts that are not strictly just override files, such as extra hand models. These may miss some fixes of the main packs.
- Simpler shadow models generated and added to most parts - missing only on Robes. If you notice any untoward issues let us know!
- Tweaked phenotype 2 sizes
- Tweaked several female head appearances
- Tweaked pelvis positions and sizes to better fit on most females
- Removed a lot of unused models/textures (appear to be testing) as well as the additional hand parts (moved to additional zip). If you need anything removed you can them in the original Beamdog release.
- Fixed several model issues (wrong texture references/ambient settings/model setting errors)
- All models compiled so should load faster
- Removed some unnecessary models and textures
- Additional model fixes
- Tattoo colours affect eyes of heads
- Some model fixes such as short swords appearances 21-24 (upside down blades), pmh0_robe003/004/006 (robes not looking correct), pmh0_shinl010/pmh0_shinr010.
- Initial Beamdog release.
The community effort to make alterations and fixes to the HD pack, and potentially expand it, are:
Maintenance of Vault download page
Bug fixes for models
Bug fixes for models
Horse generated phenotypes
Generation of source zip for builders
Generation of compiled zip for builders
Generation of patch hakpacks for users and instructions for use
Tattoo 1 affecting eye colour on heads
Bug fixes for models
Adjustments to sizes of parts / fitting them better to models
Shadow node generation
Phenotype 2 generation from Phenotype 0 to solve several issues
Bug fixes for models
|Migail||Texture editor||Bug fixes for models|
Fixes for heads (removing necks)
There is an assessment of the contents of the HD pack here: HD Pack Contents Assessment. This includes what models and texture files were removed since they were unused.
Main things included are:
- Phenotype replacements for all base helmets, heads, cloaks, robes and armor/naked body parts for phenotype 0 and 2. These are mostly skinmesh based and lack shadows and lack functionality for horse phenotypes due to engine limits/bugs.
- Weapon replacements (some are partial or texture improvements only); Great Axe, Warhammer, Kukri, Great Sword, Katana, Long Sword, Rapier, Short Sword
- Shield replacements: Large shield (1), Tower Shields (all, but some are only texture improvements)
- Misc: Gemstone model upgrades
- Creatures: Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire Golem textures
Things Not Replaced
Most models were upgraded, but some were not but probably should have been. Model names may just be examples - Phenotype 2 (fat) is likely the same.
Fixable or Ignorable
These have some kind of equivalent - usually other heads/parts - that can be copied over (moving this slowly to HD Pack Contents Assessment)
- footl002/footr002 for all races EXCEPT human male/female phenotype 0 - basically should be same as footl001/footr001 and only really NPCs would ever accidentally have this (PC's can't, the tattoo selector in the chargen seems to not use them)
- pelvis002 ("Tattoo" variant for pelvis) missing but again chargen doesn't let you use it
Not Immediately Fixable (needs new models)
- belt063 on all races seems to have been overlooked (since there is 063 of the other items) looks like this:
- The pale master arms are not included (bony arms! spoookkyy!)
- Of course a ton of weapons, different
- belt186 is referenced in parts_belt.2da but NOT included in xp2patch.bif so appears "blank"/invisible. This is very odd. Wonder what armor 186 was originally from (DLA?) needs investigating - but tbh this belt isn't really required for that armor
Things in the other releases from Beamdog
Aribeth HD creature model (did not include "evil" version)
Hall of Justice HD
- Hall of Justice interior tilegroup
- 6 placeables
- 1 Door
There are some minor changes to appearance.2da, parts_hand.2da, parts_neck.2da and cloakmodel.2da. While parts_shin.2da is also included it appears to be identical.
|appearance.2da||Line 3, Halfling. Change WEAPONSCALE from 0.8 to 0.75||Presumably makes weapons fit the hands better|
|cloakmodel.2da||Adds no new cloaks but changes the naming so the cloak models are separate|
Presumably would help future modding of such models even if they're functionally identical
However might clean up and remove the redundant ones - saving on space and duplicate models
|parts_hand.2da||Adds lines 10 through 14||5 Additional hand models|
|parts_neck.2da||Adds line 7 and 99||2 Additional neck models, although it looks like they're identical to the default neck? Need to check properly and triple check no special necks are included on particular races or genders.|
|parts_shin.2da||No changes||No changes|
- Compile models (relatively easy just time consuming)
- Done all but
- Proper shadows
- "Danglymesh" on hair or whatever
- Aesthetic changes
- Colouring in the eye pupils and lips with tattoo colour on heads
- Rename textures and link them as new unique filenames in mtr and as bitmap fields. This will mean existing content which reuses the same textures won't bug out horribly
- This may need automating but if not there are a lot to do (10K or so!)
- But also means can get a naming convention for future content
- Example of clashing content: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/thebarbarian-nwn-heads
- Remove the extra redundant cloak models and leave out 2da
- Remove the extra (invalid) neck models and leave out 2da
- Remove the pfh0_robe002.mdl and related PLT and a random robe002 MTR file since it appears to only be an earlier version of pfh0_robe003.mdl and hasn't got normals
- Optional Icons that fit the toolset (resized down)
It somewhat works - further investigation needed:
Some areas that need checking out:
- Checking that all MTR files are properly present
- Checking all texture files are properly present
- Checking all supermodel references are correct
Some of these may be toolset only not present in game. Some may be in game too though.
|Model/Texture File||Name||Screenshot||Issue||Fixed by|
|pFA0_NECK001||Female, Hafling, Neck 01|
Looks to be ambient 0 0 0 on MDL so relatively easy to fix.
Female, Hafling, Torso 02
(may also affect some other female torsos)
The Torso body has a warped model (may be a simple fix) easier to see in the toolset if you toggle between them
(tbh having the same model as 001 but the texture reference be different may be enough?)
Update: chest001 fits better to the rest of the body. Most notable is the neck seam with chest002. Both use the same UVs. Therefore, swapping in chest001 and changing the texture, as already suggested, is advised.
|Horse phenotypes (4, 6 etc.)||Human, Mounted on Horse, Normal/Large Phenotype Size|
This is basic leather armor on a horse, stuff is all over the place.
Phenotype issues most likely. Need to check what nodes are set in the original files...
Jasperre: Looks like a bug with phenotypes, the inheretance just doesn't like skinmesh since all the original models are trimesh (and otherwise very similar) so the models for pXY0 and pXY2 need copying to respectively pXY3/pXY6 and pXY5/pXY8 and model ref names renamed in the MDL file
WHAT A FAFF! Will report on nwn-issues sometime.
Bug reported: https://github.com/Beamdog/nwn-issues/issues/428
With help from Draygoth and Jasperre.
Fixed for all races+genders
|pMO0_CHEST001 and 002||Half Orc Torso|
With and without the tattoo is affected, texture is not centred. Toolset only.
Further info 18th December 2021:
Bug reported: https://github.com/Beamdog/nwn-issues/issues/429
|Fine in game can't fix in toolset|
messed up texture
Head 038 is the same as head 155, which appears to be post-HotU patch content (premium module stuff). 155 itself was a copy of head 016 with an older looking texture. Therefore to be honest removing this head wouldn't hurt if the texture is lost/unusable.
Note this head also has no MTR file (thus no normals etc.) so it's probably just worth removing it.
|Will remove from final pack along with a few other oddities|
|pFE0_NECK001 / 002||Elf Female Neck OR potentially body pieces|
Large texture gaps before it hits the torso. Example Darkstar poor gap!
Not sure if neck needs fixing or the torso piece does.
|pFE0_FOOTL001 / FOOTR001||Elf female feet|
Odd dark areas of textures on the feet
(may be just shadows? need to check when knocked down)
|All secondary feet, eg: pFE0_FOOTL002/ FOOTR002||any feet models, eg: Elf female feet 002|
Now this is not even be in the pack but it's just funny how the texture is so warped!
Note the 002 feet need adding basically as a copy of 001 with the ASCII model reference changed inside the file
|Since you can't select it at Chargen this is low priority to fix|
Most parts Half Orc Female
|Half Orc Female body/arms/thighs/pelvis|
First is non-tattoo 001 and next is 002 tattoo ones
Texture issues. Tattoo in game is missing on thighs entirely oddly
Ignore the toolset issues and focus on the odd texturing in-game.
The toolset issues appear to stem from the toolset still loading the "human, male/female" instead of the race-specific one, since the game this was fixed but the toolset wasn't thus the weird issues (less so on clothing since either it works with them properly or it isn't as drastic a difference in texture).
Need to review the tattoos on each race fully
|wswss_t_021 - 024||Shortsword piece, top, 2||Upside down|
|pFE0_PELVIS001||Elf, Female Pelvis, 01||Misaligned/sized|
|pmh0_robe004.mdl||Human, male, the Cleric robe|
Misaligned? This is character select.
The issue is only for human male (normal pheno)
Jester's Outfit hides any chest tattoos.
NB: Need to check if the original game showed tattoos since I don't think it ever did - Jasperre
|Wont fix, same as base game|
(shows the same in-game, not just in Toolset)
Chest, shoulders, arms have black material clipping through the surface of the robe
Ingame and toolset.
Discolorization center-piece with light brown.
Works for females, all male versions bugged, dwarf, human, elf, halfling etc
|Shin 010 both left & right||Ingame and toolset, disfigured color, PLT issue that needs correcting. Same as Robe 006, need to change skin PLT to cloth 1 or 2.|
Appears to be Robe 006
Female, Gnome, Fat, pieces are 006
Is robe 004 in the toolset due to 2da ordering
Not sure how to fix this one it at least loads
Added node info from pfg0_robe006.mdl
|pfh2_head028 MDL missing apparently||Human, Female, Fat, Head 28|
Orc female head available to the Human/Half-Orcs
The problem is the file pfh2_head028.mdl is missing - this presumably is the old head loading something unnaturally? Needs further investigation.
Also note pfh0_head028.mdl is also missing but the game hasn't got a pfh0_head028.mdl! so...well Beamdog didn't really do anything wrong!
Possible "fix" is to recreate pfh0_head028.mdl from the Orc, Female, Normal and pfh2_head028.mdl from the Orc, Female, Fat ones.
|Various models (eg; pmh0_head038.mdl)||Human Head 38|
Normal file referenced: M_pmh0_head038
Doesn't exist, and no normal DDS file exists (would be for instance called pmh0_head038_N)
Some may be fixable, like how the Human Head "helmets" all have normals, and we could point the MDL at them easily enough without even needing duplication.
Others may need to be created to be to the same standard as other files.
Needs a list creating of the files missing normals
|TBH not worth the hassle, remove these "bonus heads" where they don't match an original model|
Halfling, Female, Chest 17
Doesn't appear to load in the game?
Checked - is set to "render 0"
Changed render 0 to render 1
|pfe0_robe30-33||Robe 30-33 for Elf female, messed up texture.|
This only occurs for female Elf for these robe parts, unclear how to fix as the plt does not look wrong and it might be within the model itself.
Update: This seems to be an issue with the UV maps on these robe meshes. They contain two parts (pfe0_robeXYZg and pfe0_robeXYZp) whose UVs need to be scaled down by 50% on the x-axis. The UVs of pfe0_robeXYZp must be moved by minus 0.25 on the x-axis and of pfe0_robeXYZg by 0.25.
Head models have additional verts defining parts of a neck, which break the HD and normal models in weird ways.
Victorixxx may be providing fixes for these.
|pfh0_robe004.mdl (and other female robe004.mdl)||Robe 004|
Normal file looks wonky - going across the dress rather than down it causing weird shadow issues.
TBH all the robes need a serious looking at and checking out in detail since they contain a mix of parts (for shadows? but they're weird) nodes and other things that seem to overcomplicate it.
|Phenotype 2 bone arms||to follow||Quick note the bone arms do need redoing, and they need either slight repositioning or some work on the sizing since they have a gap on phenotype 2 (and almost do on phenotype 0)|
|Phenotype 2 female cloaks||pfd2_cloak_014.mdl|
wiiiiddeee. This is seriously so much larger than they need to be due to our tuned down phenotype 2.
Seems to be the only solo unique cloak, but a few others are trending to large too.
Known Bugs May Not Be Fixed
|Icon files||Inventory Icons for Weapons|
Inventory icons are not sized to the original game values, which means since the toolset is uber-dumb it gets cropped not resized.
This is the sort of thing that improves quality in game but not in the toolset so better leaving it as higher quality for the game and just removing those files/adding smaller ones to /development if you are working on content.