Spells are the raw spells and monster abilities. Feats are covered under Feats.
Some notes on spells.2da bugs to check:
- What spells can be cast on items (for crafting purposes)
- Some things miss Innate column which is needed for in-engine purposes
- Some things need the VS checking for them
The spell scripts will all be redone from scratch and thus renamed, which will standardise the naming across spells and abilities and allow several to be compiled into one script in many cases.
Spell scripts names:
- op_s_XXX.nss - Spell
- op_f_XXX.nss - Feat (spell script)
- op_a_XXX.nss - Monster ability (spell script)
- op_inc_XXX.nss - Include file(s)
Needs moving to a subpage! Some ideas for now.
Some opportunities for improvements on existing spells:
- Additional subdial spells - up to 8 - allows for Polymorph and other spells to have some additional options;
- Add for Contagion - allow which disease to be chosen (and if we want to follow 3.5, make the initial save DC in the script not from the diseases.2da line itself)
- Bestow Curse - additional options
- Standardised spell scripts can allow custom Shades and Shadow Conjuration options; a proper replication of D&D (we can also replace the icons so it's clear what they are with SetTextureOverride)
- Fixes for some spells, using EffectRunScript - cleanup of otherwise separate but "linked" effects (such as Temporary HP in Aid or similar)
- Add vs. Law and vs. Chaos options to Protection From Evil etc. spells
- Fix spells that don't use touch attacks to use them, such as Ray of Frost, which also deals more damage (or increase damage of others to match)
Might implement some VFX changes:
- Split the VFX into duration effects (with long term sounds perhaps) and impact ones (for the effect appearing) such as Protection from Elements which just fires all. the. damn. time.
|Spell Name||Old Description||New Description||Functional Changes||Notes|
Caster Level(s): Bard 3, Wizard / Sorcerer 3
The caster brings into being a zone of invisibility that travels with him for the duration of the spell. All allies within the spell's area of effect are rendered invisible, but not to each other. Those that leave the sphere are visible once more.
Caster Level(s): Bard 3, Wizard / Sorcerer 3
The caster brings into being a zone of invisibility that instantly makes every creature within range are rendered invisible, including to each other. Those that leave the sphere are visible once more and new creatures entering the area do not become invisible. Doing a hostile action removes the invisibility but only for that creature.
|Entering it later won't apply more invisibility. Not that it was hugely abusable but it was messy. Essentially AOE on Enter script only works for the first 6 seconds or something.|
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 9
The caster is able to defy the sands of time, casting spells, moving about, and attacking normally while the rest of the world appears suspended, as if in stasis.
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 9
The caster is able to defy the sands of time and is able to cast 5 defensive spells instantly they currently have memorised. If a spell of a particular type (such as Stoneskin) it will not be cast again. The order of defences are as determined by the caster, but if no preferences are set it will automatically try and do these spells:
Note that no metamagic such as Extend will be applied to these spells.
This is functionally a change to make it better MP compatible and less overpowered for "sneak attack bosses to death" as a rogue since the 3E version doesn't include attacking things.
Will however need to update the Breach spell line to properly take into account these changes since the spells now would appear to be SPELL_TIME_STOP instead of their usual ID. Maybe just remove time stop ones first since it should have separate effects.
Some potential things here:
- Issacs (Greater) Missile Storm - limit the amount of missiles per-object to something sensible, like 5
- Etherealness - Maybe rebalance a little, the effect is quite broken...
- Dispel Magic could be used against summons to simply unsummon them. In an area they're affected too. Makes some summons a little more manageable.
- True Strike - can possibly remove in OnPhysicalAttacked AI scripts and any uses of TouchAttack() script functions, so it's one use only, but can last "longer" then possibly
- Black Blade of Disaster - simplify by having it not invincible but also not require concentration
Optional QoL changes:
- Cantrips can be cast as many times as needed like 5E
There are many D&D and new made up spells that could be added. Some would be beneficial to add to add some variety for spellcasters who are limited in elemental damage types or otherwise. Some may be beneficial for Neverwinter Nights as a typical videogame.
Some themes for what to add:
- Make Evocation spells more varied - at least in damage types
- Add additional spells to schools with limited spell selections. There are plenty of source spells for this.
- Add some more useful video-gamey spells that are not standard DnD - Spell Triggers for instance, or Contingencies, would benefit many casters.
- Some may be sourced from NWN2 - which contains a fair chunk of new spells that can be redone in NWN1
There is a question: do you move to some 3.5 rules? There is some additional balance here (although Haste granting 2 spells per round is an intractable problem due to the item property), but also some difficulties with the clashing rules (there's no "cold iron" or whatever).
Some of the more 3.5E things:
- Haste no longer provides a bonus spell action. We could mimic this kind of with various effects which are added/removed as supernatural ones and EffectRunScript to recalculate this when a new effect is applied. Boots of haste would be replaced by ones that can cast the spell most likely.
- Spontaneous casting of Summon Natures Ally spells for Druids (Separate from Summon Creature which they'd lose access to)
- This would require a new set of cure spells to split from the normal Cleric ones. It might still work well enough though (can have just one set of scrolls still, counter lines have 2 options too).
This is just a quick review of what may be altered for NWN as above, or what is added - or not added - in the Overhaul potentially.
|Spell Name||Class/Level||Project Status||Notes|
|Prestidigitation||Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0||Low priority add||Can conjure some random (or set) minor VFX. More for roleplay. Maybe it makes fake looking weapons that disappear after a while (as a VFX on the hand node).|
|Ghost Sound||Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0||Low priority add||Can conjure some random (or set) minor sounds. More for roleplay.|
|Dancing Lights||Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0||Low priority add||Can conjure some light on the ground (rather than on an object/person)|
|Flare||Brd 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0||Add||Simple 1 minute -1 attack on target, unless they're blind (do by appearance.2da line or presence of Blindsight feats)|
|Detect Poison||Clr 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Sor/Wiz 0||Low priority add||This could report back exact information about what diseases and poisons, and ability decreases, are affecting someone. As a cantrip not like it has to cure them.|
|Mage Hand||Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0||Low priority add|
This could be simple; object targeted is an item, item is on the ground, item gets pulled into the casters inventory.
Alternatively you could use it on an thrown object, such a caltrops, to aim it at a particular area with OnPlayerTarget.
|Detect Magic||Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0||Add||This might be retooled as "List magical effects on target" which would be a good utility spell for one action.|
|Disrupt Undead||Sor/Wiz 0||Add||Fine damage spell for necromancers, easy to add too!|
|Read Magic||Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0||Low priority add||This could be just "Identify Spell Scroll Items" as a cantrip not a terrible one to have if you don't have much in the way of Lore skill points.|
|Guidance||Clr 0, Drd 0||Maybe||Not sure about this one. Possibly have 1 rounds worth of attack bonus, save bonus or something. Bit rubbish for that purpose though (due to how long it takes to do a further action if you cast it on yourself)|
|Hypnotism||Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1||Difficult|
Maybe can cop on the Confusion effect? This is harder due to the way you can only suggest things and combat going on usually snaps people out of it.
Simplified "Hypnotism" effect:
|Alarm||Brd 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1||Maybe||Might be nice on PWs but low priority|
|Animate Rope||Sor/Wiz 1||Maybe|
This is potentially doable (ranged to hit, applies Entangle or Knockdown on a failed save), however there are some issues that may need hardcoded effect changes or we just avoid them and apply it anyway;
Adding in some "breaking the rope" checks would probably be recommended, if the duration was kept as it is in the spell (1 round/level).
Also having it affect high strength targets who can just swat it away is probably a bad idea (no one is really immune to knockdown) so some pre-check on strength is probably a good thing(TM).
It also doesn't get affected by spell resistance which is always a pain.
The 3E one is a bit...naff. Change to Enlarge Person. This increases the creatures size category. We can actually do this in one of many ways;
|Reduce||Sor/Wiz 1||Add||As Enlarge.|
May add some 3.5 spells too.
- 3.5: Break Enchantment - Acts as a very specific type of Dispel Magic. Removes Enchantments, transmutations and curses. Spells must be 5th level or lower.
- 3.5: Call Lightning Storm - Upgraded Call Lightning
- Chill Metal - EffectRunScript damage over time spell, either no save if non-magical armor or a save if magical. If no armor then no damage.
- Command - 1 round of effects (eg Knockdown) better for group situations
- Heat Metal - Like Chill Metal.
- Spell Immunity - would be nice. Easier with NUI
- Disintegrate - solid magical damage ray. Don't need to do the "to dust" part.
- Dispel Chaos/Law/Good/Evil primarily gives the ability to dispel one spell cast by those alignments
- Symbol - the spell can be a cool kind of AOE effect spell. Subdial for choice.
- More illusion spells. Possibly some utility if they "die" on hit or need a will save to ignore and the AI reacts properly.
- Enlarge - can be EffectRunScript so removed properly (also should be OnClientEnter). Basically bonus strength.
- Reduce - same as Enlarge.
- Hideous Laughter - make a variant of Confusion with new effect icon.
- Halt Undead - works if we use the right effects and remove it OnDamaged or OnPhysicalAttacked