NWN2 lets you create your own visual effects by creating XML files:
- PFX: Particle effect
- IFX: Linear particle effect
- LFX: Lightning effect
- BFX: Beam / ray effect
- BBX: Billboard effect
- TFX: Trail effect
- SEF: Special Effect File - a usable VFX that contains multiple effects
Those files are most easily edited using the Visual Effect Editor plugin from the toolset.
Known Issues / Bugs
- Effects attached to body parts seem to ignore coordinate offsets in the editor, but they do work ingame.
- Angles set in the effect editor will often be 180 degrees in the wrong direction ingame. This only occurs for some effect types.
- Attached objects will play certain animations correctly in the editor, but will not perform them ingame (example: a skull object attached to an effect model).
- The internal effect delay in the editor does not work. All effects fire the moment the .sef is played, regardless what delay you entered in the specified PFX/IFX/BFX/BBX (so forth) entry.
- Maximum effect duration does work, but cannot be delayed.